Archaeological Museum of Argos


Ville: Argos

Archaeological Museum of Argos

The oldest part of the Archaeological Museum of Argos consists of Kallergeio. It is a neoclassical preached Kapodistrias building built in 1830 as the residence of the family of General Dimitris Kallergis.

For a time used as the Palace of Government by Kapodistrias.

In April 1932 the heirs of Dimitris Kallergis donated to the Municipality of Argos the building and the immediate precinct to house museum. The Municipality of Argos ceded the land adjacent to the State in 1955 for this purpose.

The construction of the museum took over the French School of Archaeology at the expense of the French State and the supervision of the Archaeological Service. Then demolished part of the southeastern side of Kallergeiou and built the new wing of the museum by Fomin, architect of Russian origin.

The Kallergeio - Museum was inaugurated in 1957 and a new wing in 1961.

In 2001 repairs were made to the exhibition space on the ground floor of Lerna Kallergeiou (flooring, plastering walls, updated colors). In 2003 placed in room A model of the museum one of the Archaeological Site of Argos (theater and market) as well as photographs, donated by the French School.

The Archaeological Museum of Argos houses finds from the area of ​​the city of Argos, the western part of the lowland and mountain Argolis Argolis. Dating from prehistoric times to the Roman era.

The museum complex consists of two parts, a listed monument, Kallergeio and a new wing. The permanent exhibition includes three halls. The largest room on the ground floor of the new section of the museum. In this, the exhibition follows a chronological order, with findings from the Middle Helladic period to the classical era. The most important exhibits is a large burial compass, a bronze armor, iron spits with krateftes in ship shape Geometric period (8th century BC), a division of craters 7th century BC depicting blinding of Polyphemus, a lyre made with turtle shell and an Attic red vase painter Ermonakta.

On the ground Kallergeiou finds from the prehistoric settlement at Lerna dating from the Early Neolithic II period to the Mycenaean era. The most important exhibits are the terracotta female figurine Neolithic era, clay circular hearth and fingerprints seals from the Early Helladic settlement of Lerna.

On the floor of the Kallergeiou sculptures from the region, mostly copies of classical works. Particularly noteworthy is a relief of the Eumenides Hellenistic era and a copy of the so-called Hercules Farnese of Lysippos.

In the courtyard of the museum has become a representation of part of the garden Roman villa found in street Gounaris Argos. The galleries are housed mosaics found therein or in the region. Distinguished scenes falconry and personalized seasons of the year.


Editor: Olga Psychogyiou, archaeologist




Address: Vasilissis Olgas 2, PC 21200, Argos (Prefecture of Argolida)

Phone: +30 27510 68819




Full: € 2, Reduced: € 1


Free admission days

March 6 - Memory Melina Mercouri

June 5 - World Environment Day

April 18 - International Day for Monuments

May 18 - International Day of Museums

The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)

September 27, World Tourism Day

Sundays in the period from November 1 to March 31

The National Holidays




From 1 November 2011 to 31 March 2012:

8:00 to 15:00



From the 8th June to 31 October 2012: 9.00-16.00

Monday: closed


March 25: Closed

Ajouter un commentaire
  • Nom*
  • E-Mail*
  • Commentaire*
facebook twitter
Copyright © 2024 Smart Solutions | All rights reserved | Designed and Hosted by Smart Solutions